Arsenic and old interlace

Rather than continue to post comments to my previous blog about trying to rip a DVD, de-interlace it, and convert it to an editing-friendly codec, I’m posting the followup as its own message.

The overnight re-encode with JES Interlacer failed just like the previous attempt that made the 40GB file: it got stuck on one frame of the complete video track and padded out the last 40% of the movie with that. At least with a fixed data rate of 3000 Kbps, the broken file wasn’t 40 frickin’ gig…

So then I opened the full-length video track m2v file with QuickTime Pro (which pinwheeled for like 10 minutes) and, noticing that the Pixlet export dialog had a “deinterlace” checkbox, tried using that for my export.

QTPro export and transcode

Unfortunately, it too ended up getting stuck on the same frame.

So, plan D (or was I on “E” by this point?) was to go back to MPEG Streamclip, open the demuxed m2v file (which, remember, was created by Streamclip in the first place, from all the VOB files) and do the “export to QuickTime” from there, again depending on the Pixlet exporter to handle the deinterlace. The 3000 Kbps export from before looked like ass, so I went up to 10 Mbps.

MPEG Streamclip export to Pixlet

Ah, finally! After a three-hour encode, I finally got the whole thing exported to Pixlet, with deinterlace:

Exported DVD rip with Pixlet video

The file is about 10 GB, and there are still some artifacts on a few high-contrast places (e.g., panning across dense black-on-white text). However, it scrubs like a dream, something you don’t get with a codec meant for playback, like H.264. We tend to forget how you need different codecs for different reasons, like whether you can afford asymmetry in encoding and decoding (e.g., a movie disc that is encoded once, and played millions of times, is a scenario which tolerates a slow and expensive encode so long as the decode is fast and cheap). In the case of editing, you want codecs that allow you to access frames quickly and cheaply in either direction, which tends to rule out temporal compression. The Ishtori tutorial’s editing codecs page recommends the RLE-based Animation codec, Pixlet, Photo-JPEG, or the commercial SheerVideo codec.

I might encode at an even higher bitrate for my second AMV project, but for now, I’m not super keen on burning up the last 100 GB of my drive space, so I’m OK with the current quality/size tradeoff.

Now to rip discs 2-5 of His and Her Circumstances and either start storyboarding or at least writing out a rudimentary shot sheet (smart) or throwing down edits like I know what I’m doing (dumb… but probably what I’ll do, since this is more experimental than anything).

Comment (1)

  1. […] line with what’s needed by actual users of media software. I also blogged a couple times (1, 2, 3) about how the process of ripping, de-interlacing, and re-encoding the video from DVD was […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.